Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Amos Fortune

Amos Fortune, Free Man By: Elizabeth Yates 1951 Newbery Award Winner.

The story is about a Man born in Africa in the 1700’s stolen from his country and sold into slavery in America and how he works to become free.
I’m not actually sure how I felt about this book, the ending was better than the beginning, but there was a lot about this book I didn't like. I felt as if there wasn’t enough character development for one thing. It was like it would start getting into it and then just stop, so much so I actually checked in the middle of the book to make sure I hadn’t accidentally gotten an abridged copy because it read like one.
And I absolutely abhorred the fact that the book acted as if being a slave wasn’t that bad of a thing, that it was more of an inconvenience to the slave than anything. Towards the end of the book though the author did start talking about how people shouldn’t be owned, and how everyone longs to be free, but it still didn’t make up for the other parts.
Like I said I am not sure how I felt about the book, I know it's supposed to be biographical but I feel like it didn't really capture the passion the man must have felt about longing for freedom. Of course this is a kids book from the 1950’s, so maybe they were worried about how it might negatively affect children if they went too much into reality or actually admitted Amos was an actual human being and not a lesser being since it seems like in the 1950's people freely strugled with that concept. the book felt outdated for our time but was probably fairly foward for its day.

Does someone die? Yes. but since it was kind of a biography it made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment