Saturday, September 12, 2020

W for Wonderful waffles.


I put off blogging too long and now don’t really remember much about these waffles.

They were Waffles I do remember that, and I had them with fresh blueberries, which the pictures reminded me of that. and also, real maple syrup, but I always eat waffles with real maple syrup I am a syrup snob so that was not hard to recall.

It seems I should have more to say about these then I do, as when I made them it was the first time in my life I have ever made waffles. I have eaten plenty of waffles, but I never had to make them. When I was a kid my mom used to make them from scratch all the time. We never had store bought waffles. But she didn’t make these waffles.

She made a simpler recipe. This one has you separate the eggs and beat whites till stiff then fold them into the batter at the end. whatever recipe she used was more just throw everything in, and truthfully it seems about the same result to me. I didn’t notice these being any fluffier than what we had as kids or even what my mom makes now, so I am wondering if the stiffened eggs are really worth the extra work.

I should try it without separating eggs and see. Now before you go telling me I probably over mixed while folding in the egg whites I will say I was very careful not to do that. And I have done the stiffened egg whites in cakes and seen a difference. It may just be this recipe, but I didn’t see it made much of a difference.

I will say these turned out well, but they were just a basic waffle, nothing to rave about. I think if I make them again, I will double the recipe, as this made a total of four rather small waffles.

My waffle maker is not very big and is supposed to turn out heart shaped waffles, but I didn’t fill it quite full enough to get the heart shapes. If I had it would have made only three waffles, which now that I am looking back in the book it says it only makes three 8” waffles, so maybe the fact I got four waffles at all is good enough.

Once I finish the book, I think I will go ahead and try them again without separating the egg see if it makes a difference. If it does, I will make sure to do a quick edit and put a note at the end of this post.
These wonderful waffles were good, but a lot of effort for very little payout so I do believe doubling the recipe is a good idea.



No comments: