Saturday, February 4, 2023

"The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle"


“The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle by: Hugh Lofting 1923 Newbery Winner.

This was a fun little adventure story, set in the late 19th century. I had never read any of the Dolittle books before this and this is the second in the series, so I thought I might be a bit lost but I was able to keep up, probably because I know the basis of the story from seeing some movies. I’m not sure I would have really understood the whole story if I had not seen them, but I may have been able to catch up.
I can see myself really enjoying this book as a ten year old and loving the idea of going on a trip around the world and having grand adventures and learning to speak with the animals,it would have been so much fun to get away from being poor, living in a little cramped house, and to sail away, and have the very unrealistic journey like the little boy in the book. And honestly the idea of riding back home in the shell of a snail would have been so exciting to me, I loved Snails absolutely unequivocally adored them, every kind, land and sea they were my total faves. I also liked the fact that Dr. Dolittle really wants everyone to get along and live long happy lives. but I do wish he wasn’t so into categorizing people into which type are smarter and more superior than others. this is something that at ten years old I may not have noticed but the cringy parts were there, and in your face. Or I may have noticed, I don’t know, it's hard to go back to the ten year brain of not knowing once I know. There was definitely overt racism in the book. but for 1922 it could have been so much worse. And I think this is going to be a common complaint for many of the books just because of the time periods so many of them were written.

Does someone die? there was mention of it, but it was not a character you ever actually met.

No comments:

Post a Comment