Friday, August 24, 2018

A for Apple crisp

the first recipe in the book is Apple crisp.
we ate apple crisp a lot when I was a child, was it from this book?  I have no idea, but it is something I always enjoyed eating.
one reason we had it a lot is we had a apple tree. the apple’s were not exactly the best eating apples they were a bit on the tart side ( not that that really stopped us from eating them straight off the tree)  but they sure cooked up nicely. so for about a month every year we ate apples till we were sick of them. for only having the one tree it sure produced a lot of apples.
 I miss that tree unfortunately the tree was lost to drought a few years back, but I still remember that tree.


making the recipe was fairly easy, as I do believe most Apple crisp is.
it called for sliced apples, which is something I have never actually done when I made Apple crisp. I always just chunked the apples. but since the recipe called for sliced I use an apple slicer then  using a knife cut each slice into three thinner slices. I find it goes faster that way.<


 the recipe also said I could used peeled or unpeeled apples.   I opted for the unpeeled  because they umm... have more nutrients in them right?   not to mention its a bit faster  and I actually like the peels on apples.
I used a combination of green and red apples,  not for any type of flavor combination but because I had them in the fridge already.
the cook time was a bit longer then the book called for which may have been the type of apples I used (not that I actually have an idea what type of apples I used. just the ones I had.)  or my oven which sometimes cooks slow could have been the reason<

the smell of it cooking was absolutely heavenly, but how can it not be? anything with Apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter has smell good cooking.  the hardest part of the whole thing was waiting for it to cool enough to eat!
but it was worth the wait  the flavors were spot on  and the it had just the right amount of crisp to the topping while the apples were soft and perfect as well.

and of course I had to end it all by topping it with Vanilla ice cream! definitely a make again type of recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment