Sunday, May 17, 2020

R for Raison-Apple muffins


These sounded amazing. I love muffins, I love anything with raisons baked in them, and I eat cheerios nearly every day. So everything about these seemed like the real deal but…


I don’t know if I did something wrong or if they were supposed to be like they turned out. To me they tasted a bit stale even fresh out of the oven. I know the cheerios I used were not stale as I had eaten them for breakfast, and everything else was good too. The only thing I can figure is I didn’t crush the cheerios fine enough and they dried out in the baking process.


The muffins also had little hard bits in them which I think were the bigger pieces of the cheerios. Now when I say bigger pieces keep in mind these were not big pieces at all I did crush them as finely as I could which to me looked fairly fine, however I did crush them in a bag with a rolling pin, when I probably should have used the food processor, but you know lessons learned. In the event I make them again I will use it.


I also thought they tasted too healthy for the amount of sugar in them. Most of the muffins I make call for less sugar yet taste sweeter. These also had the same amount of oil in them as a traditional recipe yet call for apple sauce, which normally is used to cut down on the fats. These definitely have that healthy taste to them, but without being any healthier so I thought that was a bit weird.

I also thought since they had apple in the name they should have apples in the recipe, either fresh or dried just something to go along with the apple sauce as apple sauce flavor tends to disappear into the background, something that definitely happened in this recipe.

I wasn’t really a fan of these and will probably stick to my old standby of Betty Crocker with the few tweaks I already use. I find if I use just a basic recipe, I can add whatever I like to it and they turn out wonderful every time.
Needless to say this recipe is not going to go into the list of staples.

No comments:

Post a Comment